This is a checklist of things that I think an operations team needs to get to a pretty good state. By no means exhaustive, and a bit opinionated. What I think is most important is at the top, but really should try to have all of them.
- Bug tracker/task manager
- How do you track WIP (work-in-progress) tasks?
- Customer can easily create a useful ticket?
- Version control
- Can you see when a file was changed, and by whom? What you choose isn’t necessarily important (e.g. git), but you’ll likely never change the system once you start using it, so choose carefully.
- Configuration management
- Fully automatic installs
- CI/CD system
- Deployment to production is fully automated
- Monitoring systems
- Inventory system
- Can you, in less than 5 minutes, say how many machines (physical and virtual) you have running?
Have an update process
It is extremely important to have everything patched and up-to-date. This includes all hardware, networking devices, you name it. You’ll want to know where and how to download the updates, how to install the updates, how to back out of a bad update, and a rough estimate of how long an update typically takes.