Does Management Matter?
- factory operations
- regular maintenance and recording reasons for breakdowns
- standard procedures for operations
- quality control
- quality problems by type
- formalizing procedures to address defects
- determining optimal inventory
- human resources management
- performance based incentives
- sales and order management
Building A Learning Organization
Knowing how is partial knowledge; it is rooted in norms of behavior, standards of practice, and settings of equipment. Knowing why is more fundamental: it captures underlying cause-and-effect relationships and accommodates exceptions, adaptations, and unforeseen events.
Delivering bad news
- Start by listening. “How are you doing?” Don’t go straight to business.
- Explore perceptions. “How do you think you’re doing?”
- Legitimize emotions. They’re feelings are valid.
- Don’t let your own emotions cloud the message.